AUUG Canberra Summer 97
To complement the AUUG National Winter Conference, a series of local
summer conferences and workshops are held in Feb-May each year,
organised by the various AUUG chapters. These conferences feature
local and national speakers on a range of subjects, and are used
to help members keep abreast of new developments in the Open Systems
arena. They are also an opportunity to try some networking of the
Eighth AUUG Canberra Summer Conference and Workshops
The Eighth AUUG Canberra Summer Conference and Workshops series,
organised by the Canberra Chapter of AUUG, was held
at the Australian National University on 11-14 Feb 1997.
There were three days of workshops, followed by a one day
Conference Chair: John Wright (email: email@example.com)
Workshop Organiser: David Baldwin (email: David.Baldwin@anu.edu.au)
The workshops were held on Tuesday 11th, Wednesday 12th and Thursday
13th February at the
Australian National University at
9am and 1:30pm.
The workshop topics were:
All workshops were half-day unless otherwise indicated.
- Sendmail - Peter Wishart, CSC Australia
- Everyday UNIX utilities - Ivan Angus, Australian National University
- ATM Internetworking - Peter Elford, Cisco
- Unix and Internet Security - Jeremy Bishop, Department of Defence
- Introduction to Perl - Frank Crawford, ANSTO
- Perl 5 - What's New - Frank Crawford, ANSTO
- Domain Name Service - Chris Vance, ADFA
- Advanced Java - Jan Newmarch, University of Canberra
- Introduction to Tcl/Tk - Steve Ball, Australian National University (full day)
- Speeding Up Tcl Scripts - Steve Ball, Australian National University
Further information on the workshops,
including abstracts of each workshop, is available.
The Conference was held on Friday 14th February at the
Australian National University,
starting at 9am.
- Pluggable Authentication Modules - Richard Sharpe, NS Computer Software and Services
- DHCP and Everything - John Terpstra, AquaSoft
- AP/Linux - Andrew Tridgell, Australian National University
- Rsync - Paul Mackerras, Australian National University
- Making LP useable - Peter Gray, University of Wollongong
- Performance Analysis of Software - John Wright, CSC
- The Making of an Internet Access Point - Karl Auer, Australian National University
- Is ATM succeeding? - Mike Boland, Cisco
- Java - Myth or Magic - Jan Newmarch, University of Canberra
- The Internet Society of Australia - Karl Auer, Australian National University
- Hosting Virtual Domains - Jerry Laidman, Canberra Institute of Technology
Further information on the conference,
including abstracts of each paper, is available.
To commemorate this event, a few photos
were taken at the conference (thanks Karl).
PGP Key Signing Service
A PGP key signing service was available to conference attendees to
'introduce' them to other PGP users. For further information see the
AUUG PGP key-signing page.
Registration fees for the Workshops and Conference were:
|Workshops - Half Day||AUUG Members||$70|
|Workshops - Full Day||AUUG Members||$140|
|Conference||AUUG Student Members||$50|
An online registration form was available.
Parking is available off Hutton Street (entrance 8 on
(3 for free before 9am); or try the roof of the Parking tower near
the Workers club.
Further information can be obtained from
firstname.lastname@example.org / 19 Jun 97